Health and Dental

Our health and dental coverage is handled by the Student’s Union administration.

Any additional questions can be sent to:

Health Plan Administrator
University of Lethbridge Students’ Union
Room SU 180
4401 University Drive W
Lethbridge, AB T1K 3M4
Phone: (403)329-2039
Fax: (403)329-2224

GSA/L.A Transit U-Pass Program

As of Fall 2008, the U of L Graduate Students’ Association, in partnership with Lethbridge Transit, has been offering all graduate students reduced transit fares through a U-Pass program.
If you have questions regarding the U-Pass and it’s distribution, please see the FAQ below! 

What is a UPass?

The Universal Transit Pass (U-Pass) programs give students enrolled in participating post-secondary institutions unlimited access to local transit. Programs are typically funded through mandatory fees that eligible students pay in each term in which they are registered. Fees are transferred to the local transit authority to fund the required transit service. Because fees are collected from a large participant base, U-Pass prices are lower than the amount students would otherwise pay for monthly passes or tickets over the course of a term.

In 1973, Queen’s University became the first university in Canada to implement a universal transit pass program. The “Bus-It” program was implemented with Kingston Transit. Nearby St. Lawrence College also participates in this program. Students are required to pay for the service as part of student activity fees. Currently, more than 60 Canadian universities have implemented a U-Pass program. 

Benefits of U-Pass Program

U-Pass programs offer students a way to lower their transportation costs while at school and also benefit the local community and the environment. U-Pass programs can facilitate:

  • Increased affordable access to transit for U of L graduate students

  • Transit service improvements to the institution

  • Reduced traffic congestion around the campus and local community

  • Contribute to fewer emissions

  • Reduce demand for parking facilities (less resources spent on building parking facilities)

Frequently Asked Questions

I didn’t agree to this, why am I forced to pay for this?

Over 65% of the graduate student population (who voted) agreed to the U-Pass idea in the March 2007 referendum.  Not everybody uses the Gym or its facilities, but everyone is required to pay for it. It is only through collecting small amounts from many people are larger things possible, for example running an institution like the University of Lethbridge. That’s how cities are able to offer facilities (libraries, pools, skating rinks, etc.) and services (water treatment plants, trash collection, etc.) normally far out of reach of a small group of individuals.

Is my U-Pass transferable?

According to the contract with the City of Lethbridge Section 7 item 7.1 " The parties agree the U-Pass stickers will NOT be transferable."

How can I get my UPass? 

U-Passes will be distributed in office hours or by appointment from M2041. Contact us if these hours do not work for you to set up an appointment.

When is my UPass valid?

The UPass is valid year round however it has to be reactivated twice a year - by August 31st, and by December 31st. If scanning machine in the bus displays "Insufficient Funds", the upass is not reactivated. To do so, please email us your name, student ID and upass number (9-digit if you have a sticker, 7 digit if you have a new ID card with upass embedded).

What if my UPass doesn’t work/scan?

Try your bus pass on multiple busses. If after a couple of days you still have no luck, contact us right away.

Can I exchange my U-Pass for a parking permit?

No, unfortunately the UPass and University Parking are separate entities and this cannot be arranged.

How can I get my reimbursement if I opted out of the U-Pass?

The cash office (not the GSA) distributes the reimbursements for the U-Pass program

U-Pass Opt-Out

Opting-out of the U-Pass Program:

The U of L graduate program includes students that are not on campus, and thus could not benefit from the U-Pass program.  For this reason, a set of criterion have been agreed upon to allow these students to voluntarily opt-out of the program. These criterion are:

  • A student doing practicum work or field work outside the City of Lethbridge for more than 3/4 of the Fall or Spring/Summer semester

  • A student who lives outside of the Lethbridge Transit Service area

If you satisfy one of these above criterion, complete this online form.

If you are unable to login to the Opt-out form...

If you cannot log in to the Opt-out form for the U-pass, please reset your U of L password. If you change your password and you still cannot log in to the Opt-out from, please complete ONE of the following actions:

  • Email the Cash Office (, CC the GSA as well as your supervisor/program coordinator, and advise us you cannot log in and you wish to opt-out of the U-pass. Your supervisor/program coordinator must then "reply all" stating that they approve your opt-out in accordance with the 3 above points, therefore verifying your eligibility to opt-out

  • Have your supervisor/program coordinator email the Cash Office ( and the GSA (with you CCed) to advise why you wish to opt-out of the U-pass in accordance with the 3 above points.

Opt-out deadline for the Fall 2019 Semester is September 20th. Please note that refund cheque will be mailed out only upon student's request. Otherwise, students can get the credit directly at the cash office. Please contact the Cash Office after the deadline for any questions related to the refund. The Cash Office does not automatically send out refund cheques.

SGS/GSA Study Carrel Space

This space has been created for graduate students who do not have an office space on campus, or for students who have office space but need a quiet place to work. Respectful use of the space is required, so that future graduate students will also be able to use this space. There is a refundable$25 key deposit required. This deposit can be given to School of Graduate Studies (SGS), once the application has been accepted.

  • Drop off completed applications at the GSA Office, M2041

  • Questions about the application? Contact us.

Teaching Center: GTAPD Workshops

The GSA strongly supports the Teaching Center in their endeavors to offer the Graduate Teaching Assistant Professional Development (GTA PD) Workshops that will be offered to all U of L graduate students in the fall and spring semesters. This program’s aim is to acquire the knowledge and skills set to teach in the classroom or laboratory and it is a great place for graduate students to get help and advice about being a teaching assistant.

Participation in the Graduate Teaching Assistant Professional Development (GTA PD) Program and attendance at other Teaching Center events provides an opportunity for professional development as well as formal recognition of participation. Students who have participated in GTA Professional Development workshops are eligible to receive a “Certificate of Participation” documenting their hours of completed participation in the program. Attendance at other Teaching Center events (such as the "Talking About Teaching" seminars) is also recognized. This certificate can be a valuable addition to a graduate student’s curriculum vitae when applying for academic positions, doctoral programs and post-doctoral placements.

More information about the GTA Professtional Development Workshops can be found by visiting the Teaching Center's Website.

Grad Student Lounge

Grad students are available to use the Grad Student Lounge space in many ways! Studying, storing food (fridge and freezer provided), making tea or coffee (kettles and coffee makers provided), playing foosball, having group meetings, and more! Fahid and Mark are always accepting challengers!


Markin Hall, M3005


Contact us, or visit during office hours.


If you would like to use the space, please visit the office in 2041 to receive the access code. As this is a grad student space only, please bring your student ID.


This space is your space.  Please keep it clean and be respectful. 

If the use of this space is abused (e.g., students are not cleaning up after themselves, food is left too long in the fridge, there is a mess found in the microwave) or if students are found being disrespectful to other students within this space, the GSA has the right to change the access code and deny any individual access.Department, Grad Stu Assoc <>

Day Care

The University Daycare Center considers Graduate Student applications first priority! Therefore, if you have children that you need to have babysat while you or a partner are at work, this is a valuable resource for you.

To view current vacancies in the daycare program, head to the program site and check back regularly to take full advantage of this rare program. You can also find more information about what the daycare service includes, wait list information and FAQ regarding the program.